Uber has partnered with Mastercard and the Department of Health to provide free rides with an aim to increase vaccinations in South Africa.
According to Mastercard, the initiative is available nationally until October 31 2021, targeting all people who are eligible for vaccination. Those who would like to get vaccinated will be able to claim two free Uber trips with the value of up to R100 to and from vaccination sites across the country.
The department calls on all eligible people to support all initiatives established to make vaccines accessible by going out in numbers to vaccinate – not only to protect themselves, but loved ones as well.
Frans Hiemstra, Uber General Manager from Sub-Saharan Africa: “We applaud the Department of Health’s efforts to vaccinate the community and we would like to do our part, along with our partners, to support these efforts. Since the onset of the pandemic, we’ve been looking at how we can support our communities and prioritise their health and safety. Our recent expansion into an additional 21 smaller cities and towns across South Africa, means we support more people across the country.”
In 2020, Mastercard partnered with Uber to provide 120 000 free trips allocated to frontline workers in the Middle East and Africa during the heat of the pandemic.
Amnah Ajmal, Executive Vice President Market Development, Mastercard, MEA explains, “Mastercard continues to partner with digital players across the value chain to build a more connected world by supporting our communities. Uber’s mission to improve lives is matched with Mastercard’s mission of doing well by doing good, and together we can help more people feel confident and safe with access to free transportation.”
How to claim your ride:
- If you are new to Uber, create an Uber account. You can download the app, go to the App Store or Google Play.
- Click on the voucher link here and click “Add Voucher” to add it to your account.
- The voucher will appear in the ‘Wallet’ section of the app.
- The voucher will be applied when requesting a trip to the vaccination centre.
- Navigate to the rides home screen and enter the pick-up/drop-off location for yourself or the person you are booking for.
- Confirm your trip.
- Don’t forget – no mask, no ride. Please also wash or sanitise your hands before entering the vehicle, and jump into the back seat to give yourself and your driver enough space.