Just in time for spooky season, Dr VS Pragdin from Parklands Veterinary Clinic has teamed up with pet insurance experts dotsure.co.za to explore whether human treats can be tricky for your pets.
While Halloween candies, chocolates and fruits are tasty for humans, pet owners should be aware that these items are all toxic to animals, and could cause serious medical trauma for your beloved furry friend.
No matter how pleadingly your pet looks at you, do not give them any of these foods:
- Xylitol sweeteners
- Garlic and onions
- Mustard seeds
- Grapes and raisins
- Alcohols and narcotics
- Raw potatoes
- Mouldy food
- Dairy products like milk
Each one of the above mentioned toxic treats can cause serious medical conditions, ranging from cardiac, neurological, liver, skeletal, and renal problems. These conditions often require expensive emergency care, and, depending on the amount ingested, may even result in death.
Here’s what to do if your pet has accidentally ingested the following:
This product contains theobromine (methylxanthine), which can cause the following effects in your pet:
- Stimulation of the skeletal muscles in the form of contractions.
- Cardio-vascular collapse
- Neurological conditions like panting and nervousness that can last up to 10hrs.
If your pet has eaten chocolate, take them to your vet for immediate emergency care – ideally within two hours of ingestion.
Xylitol is a common sweetener found in cakes, cupcakes, sweets, etc.
Here’s how it can affect your pet:
- Acute hepatic necrosis
- Renal failure
Pets who have ingested Xylitol are usually given a drip treatment containing glucose. However, their hepatic function and renal systems have to be evaluated – depending on the severity of the toxicity, hepatic damage can be permanent.
While you might long for the occasional treat, remember that dogs and cats are habitual by nature and are happy to eat the same diet every day. Should you feel the need to treat your pet then stick to snacks made specifically for animals. When in doubt, always consult your vet – they should be able to advise whether a treat is good for your pet’s internal and external health.
Visit www.dotsure.co.za for an obligation free quote 😊