So your child is enrolled in the CAPS curriculum — working their way towards achieving their National Senior Certificate, their matric — and wants to make the switch to the Cambridge International curriculum, great! The next big question is what goes into making this curriculum switch?
The majority of South African learners are currently working towards their matric under the SA National Senior Certificate (CAPS curriculum), but there are some other fantastic options out there, none more so than the Cambridge International curriculum.
UCT Online High School is currently the most affordable, fully accredited online school in Africa to offer this prestigious curriculum. Here are some things to consider when deciding whether or not to make the switch.
How do I know if the Cambridge International curriculum is right for my child?
Cambridge International is an academics-oriented curriculum that provides learners with the knowledge and skills they need to thrive in an increasingly global work environment. Signs that your child might have the right mindset for this curriculum are:[Text Wrapping Break]
- They are confident in working with information and ideas – their own and those of others
- They are responsible for themselves, responsive to and respectful of others
- They are reflective and willing to learn
- They are innovative and equipped for new and future challenges
- They are engaged intellectually and socially
- They are ready to make a difference in the world
How do I make the switch?
Making the switch is easy! UCT Online High School is taking its first cohort of learners in January 2023 and applications are now open. They’ll be accepting learners for Lower Secondary (year 8 and 9) and the first year (year 10) of Senior Secondary, known as the renowned International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or more commonly as IGCSE.
Their admissions team will take you through the finer details when you apply, but in order to be eligible your child will have to:
- Fall into an applicable age group for admission (currently accepting learners who are turning 12, up to learners who are 15-years-old)
- Have passed their previous year of study
- Pass an admissions assessment
- Have their documents verified
- Be able to make valid subject selections based on current academic progress
Please note that making the switch back to a local curriculum is not so easy. Learning paths begin to diverge once you’ve embarked down the route of an International curriculum. The further down the stream you go, the more difficult it is to turn around.
Feeling inspired to unlock a more global future? Make the switch today, and you’ll receive a 60% early bird discount on your placement fee until 31 August 2022!
If you’ve still got questions, or need some more guidance, please contact one of the UCT Online High School’s friendly admissions consultants on +27 21 140 1792 or email [email protected] ; they’ll be more than happy to assist.