The National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) and a Police Dive Unit will continue the search for a lifeguard on Monday, November 30 who went missing on Saturday. Members of the public were discouraged from swimming at the Muizenberg beach on Sunday, November 29 to allow for authorities to continue the search without hassle. There were rumours that his body had been recovered but these are not true and may have been confused with the missing fisherman who was found.
“City of Cape Town (CoCT) lifeguards, CoCT Law Enforcement and Law Enforcement Marine Unit, CoCT Fire and Rescue Services, the SA Police Services and a Police Dive unit, WP Lifesaving, NSRI Strandfontein and flanking sea rescue stations, WC Government Health EMS, WSAR (Wilderness Search and Rescue), DRM (Disaster Risk Management) and the EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter have assisted in the search,” NSRI said in a statement.
According to the organisation, the CoCT seasonal lifeguard, who is believed to be in his early 20s, was knocked from a jetski sled at approximately 3pm offshore from Main Beach on Saturday.
“Despite an extensive air, sea and shoreline search there remains no sign of the missing lifeguard and the Police Dive Unit are tasked to continue in an ongoing search operation,” the NSRI said. “Thoughts are with the family, colleagues and friends of the missing lifeguard in this difficult time.”
“At the time of the incident NSRI Simons Town and CoCT lifeguards were responding to assist three kite boarders in difficulty off-shore between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay. The kite-boarders were assisted to shore safely and they required no further assistance,” the organisation added.