On the 18th of July each year, Nelson Mandela International Day is commemorated to honour the extraordinary legacy of a man who ignited transformative change on a global scale, capturing the world’s attention.
The day serves as an opportunity for South Africans and individuals worldwide to contribute meaningfully to those in need. It reminds us that each person possesses the power to make a positive impact and effect change in the world around them.
The concept behind Nelson Mandela International Day is to dedicate 67 minutes of your time to engage in charitable work, as a tribute and recognition of Nelson Mandela’s 67 years of public service in his relentless pursuit of justice, equality, and human rights for all.
We’ve compiled a list of 5 lasting ways you can give to charity this Mandela Day:
- Make a life-saving impact by becoming a blood and organ donor, potentially saving someone’s life.
- Foster healthier communities and enhance access to fresh produce by cultivating a community vegetable garden.
- Dedicate your time on a regular basis to a cause that holds personal significance to you, volunteering and making a difference.
- Establish a monthly donation plan to support a charity or cause close to your heart, contributing consistently through direct electronic transfers.
- Embrace local support by frequently purchasing from small businesses in your area, strengthening the local economy and fostering community growth.
By embracing these actions, you can be the catalyst for positive change, making a lasting difference in the lives of others and leaving a remarkable impact on your community and beyond.