The Homestead Kitchen is a multi-faceted hidden gem in Plumstead. This charming spot was launched by foodie Elaine Rosseau seven years ago and mainly operates as a special-occasion venue and the headquarters of Elaine’s catering business, Food Fanatics. This beautiful 1820s heritage building has a unique Victorian charm and still retains many of its original Cape Dutch features. They provide intimate indoor and outdoor areas that are perfect for any occasion.
But on Wednesdays, The Home Kitchen transforms into a pop-up restaurant with carefully curated tapas that are guaranteed to meet any foodie’s expectations.
They are also open every First Thursday of the month, unless they are hosting a private event. During the summer season, they offer themed pop-up lunches in the garden.
Their pop-up events are perfect for a family dinner or intimate date night.
All the delicious details:
To enjoy a Wednesday Pop-up Dinner, it’s absolutely vital to make a reservation, because seats fill up fast. Book online by choosing your preferred reservation time. Keep in mind that even though all meals and plates are prepared fresh on the night, some items may run out during the course of the evening.
Here’s a glimpse into what’s on the menu for the next Pop-up event, 20 July:
On the Table
- Roast Garlic Focaccia and Marinated Olives
Floating plates @ R85
- Saffron Roasted Tomato & Spiced Chickpea Seed Mix Labneh with Lebanese Flatbread
- Sweet Green Chilli Jam & Ginger Crunch Tempura Prawns
- Veg Tempura & Soy Spring Onion Dip
- Coriander Salt Crusted Lamb Ribs
- Chorizo Grilled Calamari & Lemon Aioli
- Spicy & Sweet Korean Style Fried Crispy Chicken Wings & Spring Onion Pancake
- Parmigiana di Melanzane
- Red Lentil Paneer Stuffed Aubergine & Green Chilli Mint Yoghurt
- Risotto of the day
Floating plates @ R100
- Shoulder of Lamb Pampoenkoekies & Green Bean Sambal
- Crispy Skin Line Fish with Cream Israeli Cous Cous & Mandarin Fennel Sauce
- Cassoulet of White Beans, Pork, Confit of Duck & Sausage
- Steak & Café De Paris Buttered Mushroom
Side dishes @ R75 (enough for two)
- Bowl of Homestead cut fries
- Pampoen Koekies
- Warm Tenderstem Broccoli Salad, Full Cream Jersey feta, lemon & olive oil
- Baby Gem Wedge Salad Green Apple Avocado Radish Spring Onion Baby Peas finished with Creamed Dressing & some Crunchy bits
Dessert @ R65
- Banoffee Pie Brown Sugar Pavlova
- Chefs Chocolate Delight
Make sure to finalise your booking for 20 July, because spots fill quickly! But if you miss this week’s Pop-up event, pencil in the next, which will take place on 27 July. This is an experience you really want to pencil in on your calendar.
- Location: 23 Constantia Main Rd, Plumstead
- Website: foodfanatics.co.za/home/
Picture: food_fanatics_ct / Instagram