Whether you grill up your own at home, or head out to your nearest go-to spot, today is the day to enjoy one of the most popular foods the world has ever seen: the burger! Today is International Hamburger Day, seemingly thanks to the USA, but since burgers are enjoyed by nearly everyone around the world, this day has also become an international celebration. And South Africans are definitely recognising and honouring this delicious day!
We’ve tracked down a couple of eateries around the Cape that are offering International Hamburger Day specials, and we are excited to share them with you here to get your appetite going:
Burger and Lobster
For one day only, Burger and Lobster in the heart of Cape Town city is offering a burger with a 180g pure beef patty topped with American-style cheese, fresh lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and B&L’s secret burger sauce, served with skinny cut fries for only R99.
This special is only available today, 28 May, from 12pm to 3pm for both in-house dining and takeaways. Bookings are essential, though, so call ahead and secure your seat and burger.
- Burger Day Special: Burger and skinny fries for R99
- Location: 105 Bree St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8001
- Website: burgerandlobster.co.za
- Bookings: Call 021 422 4297
From 27 to 29 May, this ethically-sourced eatery and meat merchant, Conscious Carnivores, will have a burger and milkshake combo special in celebration of International Hamburger Day. For R195, try their OG Wagyu burger and either a chocolate or strawberry milkshake. Their popular Wagyu burger consists of 200g Wagyu patty grilled over hot coals, topped with melted cheddar cheese on a brioche bun, horseradish aioli, red onion, rocket, matured cheddar, maple glazed macon and paprika tomato sauce. And their milkshakes look divine!
- Burger Day Special: Burger and milkshake for R195
- Location: G22 Makers Landing, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
- Socials: @conscious_carnivores
The Boer and Butcher
From 27 – 29 May, The Boer and Butcher will have two specials running for International Hamburger Day.
For R145, you can get the i-BURGER, a 100g pure beef patty, mozzarella cheese, their homemade burger mayo topped with pulled oxtail, served with rustic fries and onion rings. Included in the special, you can either have a beer or a milkshake for your drink of choice.
Also for R145 is the El BURGER, a nacho crusted chicken breast burger with guacamole, salsa sour cream and cheese, served with a jalapeño popper and rustic fries. Similary, you can either have a beer or milkshake as your drink of choice in this special.
These specials are only available for sit-down customers at their branches in Stellenbosch Square, Durbanville, Paarl and Haasendal.
- Burger Day Special: Burger and beer/milkshake for R145
- Stellenbosch Location: Stellenbosch Square, Webers Valley Rd, Jamestown, Stellenbosch, 7600
- Durbanville Location: 27 Main St, Durbanville, Cape Town, 7550
- Paarl Location: 38 Kasteel Straat, Boulevard Square Paarl, Cape Town, 7680
- Haasendal Location: 2 Haasendal Rd, Kuils River, Cape Town, 7580
- Website: boerandbutcher.co.za
Bo-Vine Wine & Grill House
In celebration of International Hamburger Day, Bo-Vine Wine & Grill House will run a Bo-Vine Burger special all week. For R200, you will get their delectable Wagyu Burger paired with a refreshing glass of Stella Artois.
- Burger Day Special: Burger and Stella Artois for R200
- Location: Shop 1, The Promenade Shopping Centre, 85 Victoria Rd, Camps Bay, Cape Town, 8040
- Website: bovinegrillhouse.com
As sister venue to Bo-Vine Wine & Grill House, they also offer their own Beach House Burger special that will run all week! For them, that means you can either get a Chicken Burger with fried chicken thigh, slaw, sriracha mayo and pickled pineapple, or you can get the Fish Burger with fried hake fillet, dill mayo, lettuce and pickles, and a Corona beer for only R150.
- Burger Day Special: Burger and Corona for R150
- Location: Shop 3, The Promenade Shopping Centre, 85 Victoria Rd, Camps Bay, Cape Town, 8040
- Website: beachhousecampsbay.com
De Vrije Burger
Two buns, a patty, and fillings. So simple, yet so wonderfully scrumptious! So grab the family, make a date, and munch away on your favourite hamburger today.