We all love to spoil our fur babies with delicious treats from time to time, but how safe is it really to give your dog a bone?
According to the Animal Welfare Society of SA, cooked bones should always be off-limits as they may become brittle and can splinter into sharp pieces that can cause a lot of damage.
All bones (raw or cooked) can get stuck in your dog’s throat with devastating consequences so they should always be monitored when they are chewing on bones.
Raw bones are generally safer than cooked but the devil is in the detail, so to prevent accidents from happening, the Animal Welfare Society of SA cautions against feeding bones of any sort.
Chicken bones are particularly dangerous and should never be fed to your dog.
If you notice your dog chewing on a bone, never try and snatch it away as that may cause them to swallow it with potentially fatal consequences.
So before giving in to those droopy eyes and drooling smiles at the dinner table, please consider all the potential dangers that may come with it.