Destination Cape Racing will be bringing the magic of Mardi Gras to the Hollywoodbets Kenilworth Racecourse on Saturday, 28 January 2023 with the World Sports Betting Cape Town Met. The highly anticipated social event of the season promises to be a fusion of fixtures, fabulosity, fun, and, of course, fashion.
With revellers readying for race day, fashion and grooming fundi, Azeez Jacobs shares his top tips on what to wear to rock the racecourse and potentially stand the chance of winning the prize for the Best Dressed:
- Carnival colour: Mardi Gras is synonymous with colour, particularly green, purple, yellow, orange and burgundy. These can be incorporated into your outfit in a number of ways. For instance, men could pull this off with a brightly coloured two-piece suit and tie, paired with a neutral shirt, they could even mix and match the colours of their pants and blazer, or just add a pop with a vibrant pocket square, socks, shoes or eyewear. Women might like head-to-toe colours or achieve a subtle splash with their makeup and accessories. Whatever you do, try not to wear too many colours at once.
- Play with patterns: Whether you pick paisley, polka dot, floral or check, the brighter and louder the pattern, the better for ensuring that all eyes are on you at the event. This is no occasion to be playing it safe.
- Make it Mardi Gras: Be sure to add Mardi Gras elements like feathers and beads to your look, be this on your clothing, makeup, or accessories. And ensure you have your carnival mask.
- Bold beauty: While your makeup should complement your outfit, don’t be afraid to go big. Makeup artist SJ Taute suggests a striking lip bejewelled with gemstones or glamorous glitter eye makeup accented by sharp winged liner. This event is also the perfect excuse to get out the body glitter.
- Let your hair down: While your hairstyle will depend largely on your ensemble, those opting to wear headpieces and dazzling accessories might want to keep their hair slick and simple. Ponytails or an updo hairstyle never fail at a Mardi Gras-themed party, says Cape Town stylist Wagheeba Jacobs. Those going for a more sophisticated look should consider making their hair dramatic with a massive beehive or even by incorporating Mardi Gras colour with a hairpiece, hat or headpiece. Finish the look with some glitter hairspray, this is a glamorous way to celebrate Mardi Gras in style and will suit your headpieces perfectly.
- Pack a survival kit: Cape Town in January is notoriously hot, so be sure to keep a small makeup bag on hand for touch-ups and a setting spray to keep your makeup fresh and in place all day. Be sure to pack in a few plasters too, in case you get blisters.
“Mardi Gras is all about fun – it’s an opportunity to play around with your wardrobe and one you might not get again,” says Jacobs. Taute adds that this year’s theme is all about making a statement: “Unleash your inner glamazon!”
Putting his style suggestions into practice, Jacobs recently got model Abongwe Qokela and Pascal Ellinas of DJ duo Pascal & Pearce gussied up for a Mardi Gras-inspired photoshoot that featured some of the equine stars of the SA horse racing scene, including last year’s Met winner, Kommetdieding. The vibrant colours, striking shapes, eye-popping patterns and over-the-top accessories all echoed the spectacular theme.
At the event, attendees can shake their tail feathers to the likes of Pascal & Pearce, Kwesta, Sunset Sweatshop, Jägermeister Brass Cartel, Kooldrink, and Choccy Chox, among others.
“Ultimately, your personality should shine through your outfit. Remember, confidence is key – that’s the best way to really pull off your look!” he concludes.
Ticket packages are available here at R150 per person.
About Cape Racing
Cape Racing is the home of racing in the Western Cape and is comprised of the Hollywoodbets racecourses in Kenilworth and Durbanville. The organisation brings together the sport, the culture and the lifestyle of horse racing under one all-inclusive roof, with hospitality facilities and activities open to the public at both venues. More information can be found at www.caperacing.co.za.
About World Sports Betting
World Sports Betting is South Africa’s premier online sportsbook and seeks to present a friendly, fast and secure online sports betting experience. Founded in 2002, the brand has been at the forefront of South African sports betting for over a decade. With innovative markets tailored for the South African client, World Sports Betting has become one of the most acclaimed names in the betting industry. For more information, go to www.wsb.co.za.