There was a time when ‘Couch Potato’ and ‘Bikini Weather’ always found their way into most realms of South Africa. From the garage to your friend’s radio blast, much of the 2010s in local music were defined by the likes of indie rock superstars, Shortstraw.
Hailing from Johannesburg, Shortstraw shared their musings all over the country at many a fest and jam session.
Two and a half years ago was the last time that Shortstraw hit the stage in Cape Town, and it is with much excitement that Sun Daze events announces their return with the aptly titled ‘Fine Thanks, and You?’ Cape Town Tour.
“They’re back with a brand new album and will be performing in the heart of the city at District (Harrington’s, Surfa Rosa) supported by some of Cape Town’s finest musicians and DJs on Friday 1st April 2022,” says Sun Daze. Their second gig will be at Beau Constantia.
Despite the opening gig date, this is not an April Fool’s joke.
Armed with hits, an army of loyal fans and their secret weapon of immaculate vibes, this is a live music event not to be missed out on for the indie and alternative lovers, movers and shakers.
And yes, you have been watching too much TV with no self-control, so it’s time to get out and experience life again in the form of a few tunes and fellow indie music lovers.
For a little recap on Shortstraw, they won best Indie at the 2013 MK awards for the music video ‘One Long Day’ and grabbed the award for Best Album for ‘Good Morning, Sunshine’ at the 2014 MK awards as well as Best Video (Waterworks). They were also nominated for Best Alternative at the 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards, and their album ‘Youthless’ topped local charts on iTunes at #1 as their Cape Town gig announcement happily reminds.
- Date: 1st April 2022
- Time: 18:00 PM – 02:00 AM
- Venue: District Nightclub & Harringtons Cocktail Lounge | 61c Harrington St, Zonnebloem, Cape Town.
- Tickets: Early bird catches the ticket at R180, while general access is R220. You can also buy tickets at the door for R250. Online tickets can be purchased here.
- Further info: COVID-19 policies apply and No under 18s are allowed.
- Date: 2nd April 2022
- Time: 12:00 PM – 20:00 PM
- Venue: Beau Constantia | 1043 Constantia Main Rd, Constantia, Cape Town.
- Tickets: Early bird catches the ticket at R180, while general access is R220. Online tickets can be purchased here.
- Further info: This event is family-friendly and allows children under the age of 12 to be accompanied by a guardian. COVID-19 regulations apply.