The highly-anticipated Franschhoek Literary Festival is fast approaching as literary enthusiasts gather for a bustling celebration of books, the literary arts and the creative process.
From readers, to local and international writers, booksellers and publishers, this exciting event spanning over three days will see these likeminded individuals bond over great literature.
The Franschhoek Literary Festival was originally established in 2007 and after 13 years, it had to be cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19 and a lack of funding.
In 2021, a new Board was formed by donors and volunteers to revive the beloved Festival, with the key objectives of:
- Bringing together a cross-section of South African and international authors;
- Inspiring, delighting, informing and challenging audiences;
- Raising funds for local community and school libraries and training and placing assistant school librarians through the FLF Library Fund;
- Starting a membership programme to raise a further R100 000 for literacy programmes in South Africa.
The events take place in a variety of village venues within a few minutes’ walk of each other, creating a vibrant ambience in streets buzzing with book-lovers. The emphasis is on informal discussions and spirited debates between several writers with a chairperson, or one-on-one conversations and occasional talks. Starting at 10am and ending at 5pm, up to nine one-hour events run concurrently with half an hour between each (except where otherwise stated).
- Date: Friday, 13 May 2022 – Sunday, 15 May 2022
- Please note: Attendance at all Franschhoek Literary Festival events is conditional on showing proof of vaccination, or proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or Rapid Antigen) less than 72 hours old.
- Tickets purchased will not be refunded if the above compulsory conditions are not met.
- Have a look at the full list of events here.
- Tickets for this event are not refundable. Purchase here.
- Location: New High School Hall, Franschhoek