VoxWeather has issued a weather warning, sighting a cold front with scattered showers and a heavy gale sweeping over the Western Cape on Monday, 20 February.
STRONG COLD FRONT & TROPICAL CYCLONE FREDDY🌀 ⚠️
1) A strong cold front is making landfall over the Western Cape on Monday morning with gusting winds and scattered showers
2) Cyclone Freddy, 1st Category 5 Storm In 2023, to slam Madagascar late on Tuesday#FREDDY pic.twitter.com/erUPoV0DKt
— Vox Weather (@VoxWeatherZa) February 20, 2023
SA Weather Services has also flagged a Yellow level 2 warning, adding that the cold front may bring damaging waves to parts of the following areas:
- Cape Agulhas
- Theewaterskloof / Grabouw
- Overstrand / Hermanus
- City of Cape Town / Cape Town city
- Drakenstein / Paarl
This will impact driving, power supply and may cause flooding in some areas.
A level 2 warning for damaging winds was issued for the following areas:
- Langeberg / Robertson
- Breede Valley / Worcester
- Prince Albert
- Beaufort West
The strong gale-force wind and rough sea conditions will make it dangerous to navigate the sea and operate small and medium vessels.