After Timothée Chalamet posted a behind-the-scenes tease showcasing his portrayal of the iconic Willy Wonka, people got excited in a glorious child-like sense.
However, this rendition of the king of chocolate factories is doused in a lot of mystery – which can be credited to Chalamet’s caption choice.
“The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last” he captioned an Instagram post, opting for Gene Wilder’s line in his 1971 portrayal of Mr Wonka.
Combine the elements of excitement, suspense, and one of the most popular Roald Dahl tales, and the internet became alive with intrigue. We were reminded of golden tickets, chocolate rivers and adorable (albeit feisty) Oompa Loompa. However, whether any of these beloved elements of the previous films would be present in the latest rendition of the story dubbed Wonka, is unknown.
Here’s what we know about Wonka so far.
1. We may not know the what portion of the plot, but there are rumours about the when.
According to IMDB, this Wonka is set years before the events of the novel, taking a glance at Willy Wonka’s early life which in the 2005 Johnny Depp rendition we only got brief flashbacks toward.
Other than this telling, the plot is being kept tightly under wraps.
2. It’s directed by the same director who directed Paddington – Paul King.
3. There are a lot of British stars set to share the screen with Chalamet
- Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water)
- Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean)
- Olivia Colman (Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown Season 3 and 4)
- Jim Carter (Downtown Abbey)
4. The release date is March next year
Wonka is set to hit theatres in March 2023, and according to some sources (namely Chalamet’s socials), it’s going to be March 17th.
5. It’s going to be a musical
Wonka is following the suit of its predecessors and will be billed as a musical.
6. The Soundtrack is Original
The mastermind behind the soundtrack is Neil Hannon, who is also the lead singer of the band The Divine Comedy.