Between March 7 and 15, 10 Peninsula High Schools will go head-to-head in the 2019 High School Band Slam at the V&A Waterfront. The audience can expect to hear a wide range of music genres and instruments including drums, pianos, guitars, and saxophones.
The shortlist of schools includes Rustenburg Girls’ High, Parklands College, Bergvliet High, Belhar High, Wynberg Girls High, Parel Vallei High, Norman Henshilwood High, Bishops College, Bridgetown High and Elsies River High. The prelim rounds will take place between March 7-15, with the finals on the 15th.
The top three bands will stand a chance of winning a musical consultation and equipment for their school to the value of R20 000 from Mars Music. An additional R5 000 V&A Waterfront gift voucher will be awarded to the school that demonstrates they have the best crowd participation and support.
Each school band will be a scored by a panel of industry experts. Musicality includes song arrangements, technical proficiency, artistic ability, originality and interpretation. For presentations, the judges will look at performance attitude, stage dominance, confidence and rapport. For patronage, schools will need to show they have support, crowd participation, school spirit and enthusiasm.
Guests are encouraged to come and support these young music enthusiasts, for free.
Lineup (Prelim Rounds):
Thursday, March 7 2019
– Rustenburg Girls’ High School– 6pm-6.30pm
– Parklands College- 6.45pm-7.15pm
Friday, March 8 2019
– Bergvliet High School- 6pm-6.30pm
– Belhar High School- 6.45pm-7.15pm
– Wynberg Girls High School- 7.30pm-8pm
Wednesday, March 13 2019
– Parel Vallei High School- 6pm-6.30pm
– Norman Henshilwood High School- 6.45pm-7.15pm
Thursday, March 14 2019
– Bishops Diocesan College- 6pm-6.30pm
– Bridgetown High School- 6.45pm-7.15pm
– Elsies River High School- 7.30pm-8pm
Final: 15 March, from 6pm