There’s nothing quite like a hot cup of tea, especially during the cold, winter months. This magical drink is packed with antioxidants, and has a host of health benefits that comes along with it.
It goes without saying that Capetonians enjoy their cup of rooibos tea, or even chamomile, chai and herbal brews. But have you ever heard of tomato mint tea, a savoury blend that is said to taste like soup? Bizarre or perfectly normal? You decide!
Here are four weird and wonderful teas that people are drinking (and enjoying), all around the world:
Russian Brick Tea
This tea is exactly what it’s name suggests and originates from the tea preparation method it follows. The first step to crafting this brew is to compress the black tea into rock hard tablets. These tablets are then used for making the tea, in a similar way to how sugar cubes are used.
To make the tea, one would need to grate off the corner of the tea tablet, and then add some boiling water to the cup. And some companies are still producing it! So the bigger question is: would you ever drink a cup of tea that was made using brick and water?
Tomato Mint Tea
A savoury tea? That’s exactly what this is! This type of tea is loved by people all over the globe. With tomato as the base for this mixture, and a hint of mint on the side, this is quite a unique beverage to have (especially when you pair it with a few biscuits – Cape Town’s favourite).
Drinking this tea is very similar to enjoying a hot cup of soup, and some bloggers have even welcomed the idea of cooking with this tea. It can also be described as another version of the classic Bloody Mary, with herbal notes and spicy flavour that packs a mean punch.
Panda Dung Tea
Believe it or not, this is one of the most expensive teas in the world. Panda Dung Tea developed in China and it’s name originates from the weird preparation method that it follows. During the process of making this tea, Panda dung (from the adorable animal that we love), is used as a fertiliser for the growth of the tea plants. Pandas are said to only absorb 30% of the nutrients they consume, leaving the remaining 70% locked into the fertiliser that’s used to make this tea.
Wrestling of Dragon and Tiger
This is a traditional way of drinking tea among ethic groups of Yunnan, China, and this kind of tea attracts many people to its aromas and potency. It’s made with a mixture of black tea and a tiny dash of alcohol. Brandy is usually the preferred choice to add to this beverage because it adds a unique flavour to the tea.