A cardboard cutout of a traffic official operating a speed camera along a busy Cape Town road has left residents puzzled, questioning the origin and authenticity of the fake cop.
While the traffic department has not responded to media enquiries, social media was abuzz this week after an image of the cutout was posted on Facebook.
The photo depicts the life-sized figure of a man, dressed in a traffic official’s uniform, standing behind what appears to be a genuine camera and was taken in Blaauwberg Road, Table View, at lunchtime on Tuesday.
Facebook users were full of questions and comments after the post was shared on community groups.
Here are some of the remarks:
- “Is the camera real???”
- “I passed by it this morning and nearly caused a crash as I was stunned. Thought for a moment it was Candid Camera.”
- “How do you know it’s not real? In SA the cops don’t man the cameras they sit in the car.”
- “Who wants to take a bet on how long it will be there before it gets nicked?”
- “Indeed a cardboard cutout. But when you approach it, it serves the purpose as it looks so real. I know the person [it’s modelled after].”
- “Brilliant idea.”
- “He’s probably drawing a full salary.”
Picture: chrissy.smith.7393 / Facebook