The bail hearing for two men suspected of targeting hikers on Table Mountain has been postponed until Monday at the Simon’s Town Magistrate’s Court.
It was reported last week that South African National Parks rangers conducted an operation, following a number of complaints of hikers being attacked on popular hiking trails.
The men matched descriptions provided by the victims of the latest three incidents.
Earlier in the week, Simon’s Town police were called for assistance by Table Mountain National Park rangers and arrested two suspects aged 23 and 37.
“The suspects were charged with possession of dangerous weapons and possession of drugs, at this stage they are not linked to any other crimes,” she said.
Western Cape National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila confirmed the case against Joshua Fredericks and Leroy Rubain has been postponed.
South African National Parks spokesperson Lauren Clayton said since the new year there have not been many attacks at the Table Mountain National Park.
“The attacks have been fairly minimal, lockdown played a part because people are at home or at work and many people are abiding by the lockdown regulations,” she said.
She said compared to this time last year, they had received 11 reports but only five to date this year.