At least 51 more people have died in South Africa after contracting the coronavirus, bringing the national death toll to 54 237.
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Tuesday that 880 new COVID-19 infections have been recorded, taking the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases to 1 577 200.
“As of today, the total number of confirmed #COVID19 cases is 1 577 200 the total number of deaths is 54 237 the total number of recoveries is 1 502 986,” Mkhize said in a statement.
— Dr Zweli Mkhize (@DrZweliMkhize) April 27, 2021
Meanwhile, vaccinations of healthcare workers under the Sisonke trial are set to resume on Wednesday, April 28, in the Western Cape, after the rollout had been suspended on April 13 following six reported cases of rare blood clots in the United Sates.
Premier Alan Winde has urged those over 60 to register for their jabs.
“It’s been confirmed that there were no instances of rare blood clots in South Africa among healthcare workers already vaccinated. The J&J vaccine has since been found safe to use following careful consideration by SAHPRA and related bodies, News24 quoted Winde as saying.