Muizenberg High School was thrown into turmoil this morning as a gas leak affected a number of pupils and staff members, with some being hospitalised.

At approximately 11am on Thursday morning the City’s Fire and Rescue Service responded to a reported gas leak at a high school in Muizenberg. Two fire engines, two rescue vehicles and various ambulance services assisted in treating patients at the scene.

According to the City, the information available to them at the time suggested that liquid chlorine was thrown into the blocked drain inside the male ablution facilities. This formed a vapour cloud that spread through the school.

Approximately 23 people, both students and teachers, were affected by the vapour and are being treated for respiratory distress.

Ten patients have been taken to hospital for further treatment and the blocked drain has been cleared.

Picture: Pixabay

Article written by

Aimee Pace

Aimee is an avid gamer, enthusiastic yogi and animal lover. Addicted to anime, coffee and plant-based meals. Current favourite pastimes include, sewing and learning Japanese.