South Africa has once again been rocked by a revolting instance of gender-based violence. Footage of Jaco Swart violently beating his wife has gone viral on social media.
Trigger warning: the following clip contains disturbing scenes of violence and is not for sensitive viewers.
— Barry Bateman (@barrybateman) June 7, 2022
Jaco Swart, a business owner and self-proclaimed ‘hooligan’, is a prime example of everything that’s wrong with South Africa’s justice system and its blatant disregard for victims of abuse. He got away with a slap on the wrist and a R20 000 fine after admitting guilt in court on Tuesday.
The court also sentenced a suspended jail sentence of three years which will remain in place until 2027. This means that despite mounds of evidence against him, Swart will only be incarcerated if he re-offends.
Additional footage, which was not accepted in court because its “authenticity” is unclear, has since been spread like wildfire on social media.
Swart’s said remorse might have been accepted by the court, but South Africa is on a mission to see justice prevail.
It is alleged that Jaco Swart has fled to Cape Town.
Important numbers to save if you are a victim of GBV or domestic violence:
- GBV Command Centre: 0800 428 428
- Rise Against Domestic Violence SA – WhatsApp Support Line: 081 589 4308 / [email protected]
- Suicide helpline: 0800 567 567
- For an emergency that needs police response: 10111
- For an emergency that requires an ambulance: 10177
- Domestic violence helpline: 0800 150 150
- 24/7 Lifeline (Counselling): 0861 322 322
- GBV from a mobile phone: *120*7867#
- Women Abuse Helpline: 0800 150 150
- GBV related complaints (SAPS): 0800 333 177
Picture: @sivngesi / Instagram