Commuters will be able to use Metrorail’s Central line this afternoon. The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa said yesterday that its services will be up and running after a week suspended service.
In a statement earlier this morning, Metrorail said, “Service remains suspended for the morning peak due to essential repairs of a second vandalised sub-station which supplies traction power for train movements on the Central line.”
Last week Metrorail decided to shut down services on its most dangerous route after security concerns. Railway workers affiliated with the United Transport and Allied Trade Union (Untu) refused to work on the line following the death of a security guard at Chris Hani Station in Khayelitsha.
The union’s Sonja Carstens said that until armed guards are deployed along the line and on train coaches, workers remain skeptical to report for duty. Vandalism prolonged the suspension of service on the central line.
“We want it surrounded with armed guards, whether it’s at platforms or a red signal because this is where you get gangs of armed men jumping onto the train either shooting at train crews or passengers and robbing them of their goods,” she said.
Riana Scott Metrorail spokesperson said that repairs would take months but Metrorails teams were out this morning to inspect repairs done to the Nyanga infrustructure to ensure the service would be fully operational in time for the afternoon peak.
Some commuters took to social media to vent their anger in the early hours of the morning .
— Earl September (@earlseptember) January 17, 2018