Western Cape police have launched a manhunt for seven of the ten suspects behind an attack on a Philippi farm over the weekend that resulted in the deaths of two people.

“It is alleged that at about 8.50am [on Sunday], a farmer and his son were busy with maintenance work on the property when 10 men arrived on the pretence of conducting business,” said police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana to TimesLIVE. “One of the suspects took out a firearm and threatened the owner.”

The armed suspect forced to owner to access his safe and hand over an undisclosed amount of cash.

“The owner, his son and farm employees were subsequently forced into a storeroom. One farmworker, aged 31, was shot in the scuffle and he died on his way to hospital,” said Rwexana.

The suspects are reported to have fled the scene thereafter in a white Toyota Avanza and a white Volkswagen Golf. Rwexana said that one of the suspects, a man also in his thirties, got killed, while two of the remaining nine suspects were apprehended on the day by farm-watch organisations who were supporting the police.

Rwexana said. “SAPS forces on the ground have launched a manhunt for the outstanding suspects with the assistance of the air wing.”

“Every attack on a farm is an attack on our country. Each loss of life in these criminal attacks is regretted and is mourned. We call on all our people to stand together to defeat these criminals,” African National Congress (ANC) Western Cape Secretary Faiez Jacobs said in a statement.

Last week, an elderly farmer and his wife were murdered in the bedroom of their Bonnievale farm home. A suspect has since been arrested and will appear in court.

READ: Elderly couple found dead in Bonnievale home

READ: Suspect arrested in connection with Bonnievale farm murders

Picture: Pixabay

Article written by

capeetc

We love this place! Cape Town Etc features news, reviews, entertainment and lifestyle in the Mother City.