Seven learners that were involved in a street brawl outside Edenglen High School in Johannesburg have been suspended by the Gauteng education department, pending a disciplinary hearing.
The initial reports indicated that 10 learners participated in the fight which took place on November 10, but provincial education spokesperson, Steve Mabona said that further investigation determined that only seven learners were involved, according to TimesLIVE.
The seven learners have been suspended while they await the disciplinary hearing, which is scheduled for Thursday [November 18] and Friday [November 19].
“Sadly, six of the seven learners who were involved in the fight tested positive for dagga usage,” said Mabona. “In addition, one of the suspended learners was found with a knife which he indicated was for his protection.”
When the footage of the fight began circulating on social media last week, Gauteng’s education MEC, Panyaza Lesufi promised to visit the school. In a tweet, he said: “Edenglen High School, you just invited me to be at your school tomorrow morning. It’s a date! It can’t be!”
— Panyaza Lesufi (@Lesufi) November 10, 2020
On Wednesday, November 11 the MEC stated that the fight kicked off because of a R25 debt that was owed to one of the learners, according to reports.
Edenglen High’s school governing body swiftly took the necessary disciplinary action against all learners involved in the fight, according to Mabona.
“It was revealed some pupils are not registered with the school. An investigation to identify them is underway,” said Mabona.
Picture: screenshot from video