The man who was arrested on allegations that he started one of the fires on Table Mountain last week, was granted bail in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
Frederick Mhangazo, 35, was arrested on April 18, hours after the initial blaze (which was believed to have been started by a vagrant) broke out.
He was accused of starting a new fire during the existing blaze.
According to IOL, the charge against Mhangazo was changed from arson to lighting or causing an open fire without proper authority.
The report quoted the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Erick Ntabazalila as saying the the charge of arson was changed as Mhangazo could not be linked to that crime.
“His case was postponed until June 18, 2021, for further investigation,” Ntabazalila said, adding that Mhangazo was granted bail of R500.
News24 reported that representations were made by his pro bono lawyer Shaun Balram.
SA Human Rights Commission representatives monitored the case, as Mhangazo appeared in court on Wednesday, the report said.