New research has revealed the top trending travel destinations on TikTok, including the most-watched countries, cities and tourist attractions, and guess what, South Africa is shining bright in the top 20!
@avo_maki The MOST amazing experience yet. 🤩🐬#explorecapetown #CapeTown #tiktoksa #tiktoktravel #traveltheworld #traveltheworld #southafrica #traveller ♬ Still Don’t Know My Name – Labrinth
With 49.9 billion views of ‘#travel’ on TikTok alone, the video-sharing app is fast becoming the go-to place to research and plan an epic trip – from staycations to far-flung adventures.
@campsbaygirlYou can’t beat staying in a glass house ##southafrica ##tiktoksa ##travelsouthafrica♬ ive never felt so alone – favsoundds
The research was commissioned by global fashion brand Superdry and involved analysing the view numbers of thousands of travel-related hashtags on the app to rank the most-watched places and landmarks around the world.
With over 461 million views, Japan is revealed to be the most-watched travel destination on TikTok and many videos include tips on etiquette for Western travellers and advice on when to travel to enjoy the country’s famous cherry blossom season.
Travel videos on Russia are the second most popular on the app, with travellers uploading content on the most beautiful places to visit and the country’s extremely cold winters.
Mexico is the third most-watched country on travel TikTok (215.3 million views) and, perhaps unsurprisingly, breath-taking beach videos dominate the hashtags providing advice and inspiration for those filled with wanderlust.
Videos about Asian countries are the most popular for would-be travellers, with nine Asian countries featuring in the top 25 – including China (5th), Vietnam (6th) and Thailand (8th). In South America, it’s Colombia travel videos that are drawing the most views (55.8 million) and the only African country to appear on the top 25 list is South Africa (40 million views).
@wanderwithiana It’s snowing in South Africa! 🇿🇦 #foryou #fyp #trending #tiktoktravel #southafrica #southafricatravel #hiking #snowing #snowadventures #drakensberg ♬ i found me a lover who could play the bass – abbie
The 25 most-watched countries on Travel TikTok:
- Japan, Asia – 461.2 million views
- Russia, Europe – 246.6 million views
- Mexico, North America – 215.3 million views
- United States of America, North America – 146.3 million views
- China, Asia – 110.1 million views
- Vietnam, Asia – 107 million views
- Italy, Europe – 105.6 million views
- Thailand, Asia – 95.1 million views
- Scotland, Europe – 57.7 million views
- Colombia, South America – 55.8 million views
- Australia, Oceania – 51.6 million views
- Nepal, Asia – 49.2 million views
- India, Asia – 47.6 million views
- Indonesia, Asia – 45.4 million views
- Bolivia, South America – 41.7 million views
- Peru, South America – 41 million views
- South Africa, Africa – 40 million views
- Greece, Europe – 37.8 million views
- Turkey, Europe – 37.6 million views
- Philippines, Asia – 36.5 million views
- Brazil, South America – 34.4 million views
- Canada, North America – 33.8 million views
- Norway, Europe – 32 million views
- Malaysia, Asia – 27.6 million views
- Romania, Europe – 27.3 million views
New York is the most-watched city on travel TikTok:
According to the research, it’s the city that never sleeps, New York, that’s the most popular city on the app. One of the most visited cities in the world, many of the travel videos contain information on tourist traps to avoid and lesser-known spots to try when you visit. Five other North American cities feature in the top 25 list, including Chicago (13th), Toronto (14th) and Portland (18th).
South Korea’s capital Seoul is the second most-watched city with 106.5 million views, followed by Dubai in third place (62.7 million views). Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates also features in the top 25, in 24th place with 1,818,300 views of travel videos about the city.
Asian cities are featured the most on the top 25, with seven cities in total on the list, including Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam (5th) and Japan’s capital Tokyo (8th), whereas five European cities appear on the list, such as Paris (6th), London (11th) and Prague (15th).
@campsbaygirl In my opinion anyway 😍😉 #tiktoksa #southafrica #kraalbaai #capetown #travelsouthafrica ♬ original sound – Krutika 🐥
25 Most Watched Cities on Travel TikTok:
- New York, USA – 114 million views
- Seoul, South Korea – 106.5 million views
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates – 62.7 million views
- Jakarta, Indonesia – 37.1 million views
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam – 32.6 million views
- Paris, France – 27.2 million views
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – 16.2 million views
- Tokyo, Japan – 13.1 million views
- Bogota, Colombia – 12.4 million views
- Melbourne, Australia – 11 million views
- London, United Kingdom – 10.4 million views
- Singapore, Singapore – 8.6 million views
- Chicago, USA – 6.6 million views
- Toronto, Canada – 6.3 million views
- Prague, Czech Republic – 3.6 million views
- Barcelona, Spain – 3 million views
- Sydney, Australia – 2.8 million views
- Portland, USA – 2.8 million views
- Cebu, Philippines – 2.6 million views
- Miami, USA – 2.5 million views
- Nashville, USA – 2.2 million views
- Cairo, Egypt – 2 million views
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – 1.9 million views
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates – 1.8 million views
- Chiang Mai, Thailand – 1.6 million views
@kayleightuck7 #tiktoksouthafrica #southafrican #ostrich #funnyanimals #southafrica #westerncape #capetown #outdoors #fyp #wtf ♬ Africa (Live) – Toto
The world’s most-watched attractions on travel TikTok:
With an impressive 1.5 billion views on TikTok, the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa is the most-watched tourist attraction in the world. The building boasts observation decks, the world’s tallest restaurant and a spa and gym. Three other Dubai attractions also feature in the top 25: The Dubai Mall, the tourist attraction Global Village which allows you to visit 70 countries around the world in one place and the world’s first seven-star hotel, Burj Al Arab.
@lookscoolletsgo #capetowntravel #capetownsouthafrica #southafricatravel #capetowntiktok #sharesouthafrica #secretcapetown #capetownguide #campsbay #capetown ♬ baby slowed – *:･◞ﾟ𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧˚ ⋆✧
Six theme parks feature in the top 25 list, including Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida which is the second most popular tourist attraction on TikTok with over 965 million views and Disneyland Paris in France, which takes the third spot with over 685 million views. Universal Studios Hollywood (6th), Efteling in The Netherlands (11th) and Europa Park (14th) in Germany also make an appearance on the top 25 attractions on travel TikTok.
The United States of America has the most attractions on the top 25 list, including famous beauty spots Niagara Falls, Lake Tahoe and the Grand Canyon. Miami’s South Beach and Sydney’s Bondi Beach are the only two beaches to make the list, but the beach-filled island of Isla Mujeres off of the Cancun coast also features in 24th place.
@apetownshenanigans Ironman villa🛸🛸🛸 #foryou #tiktoksouthafrica #capetown #architecture ♬ Buss It – Erica Banks
Kruger National Park also features in the top 50 most watched attractions.
@ruthlessbroccoli This is how I figure heaven looks like 🥺😻🦒 #krugernationalpark #southafrica #southafricatravel #africansafari #wildlifesafari #giraffe🦒 #giraffes ♬ Home Cover by Lukmco – Luke
@robertwedderburn A beautiful African Lioness walking down the road with two Lion Cubs.🦁 #lion #wildlife #krugernationalpark #wildlifefilmmaker #wildlifelover #lioness ♬ original sound – Robert Wedderburn
25 Most-Watched Attractions on Travel TikTok:
- Burj Khalifa, Dubai, UAE – 1.5 billion views
- Walt Disney World Resort, Florida, USA – 965.3 million views
- Disneyland Paris, Paris, France – 685.8 million views
- The Dubai Mall, Dubai, UAE – 574.8 million
- Times Square, New York, USA – 525.1 million
- Universal Studios Hollywood, California, USA – 430.3 million views
- Eiffel Tower, Paris, France – 413.6 million views
- Global Village, Dubai, UAE – 390 million views
- Niagara Falls, Ontario/New York, Canada/USA – 384.7 million views
- Taj Mahal, Agra, India – 348.1 million views
- Efteling, Kaatsheuvel, The Netherlands – 316.7 million views
- Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA – 302.4 million views
- Central Park, New York, USA – 248 million views
- Europa Park, Rust, Germany – 247.3 million views
- South Beach, Florida, USA – 242.3 million views
- Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA – 224.5 million views
- Machu Picchu, Peru – 211.1 million views
- Universal Studios Florida, Florida, USA – 199.5 million views
- Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE – 181.2 million views
- Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia – 163.7 million views
- Statue of Liberty, New York, USA – 148.1 million views
- India Gate, Delhi, India – 144 million views
- Buckingham Palace, London, UK – 126.1 million views
- Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico – 106.7 million views
- Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada – 105.5 million views
@wanderwithiana 5 Unique places to stay at in South Africa 🇿🇦 #foryou #fyp #trending #tiktoktravel #southafrica #exploringsouthafrica #cabins #uniqueaccommodation ♬ Trampoline – SHAED & ZAYN
Justin Lodge, Chief Marketing Officer at Superdry comments:
“Forget the assumption that TikTok is just a platform for lip-syncing and dancing, our research shows that it’s become an invaluable hub of travel information for those looking to take a trip – or live vicariously through those that are documenting their own.
Superdry was built on the spirit of adventure and with travel plans having been put on hold for many around the globe, we hope that our report can be used by would-be travellers to start planning their own adventure for whenever it is next possible.”
@wanderwithiana 5 Waterfalls to visit in South Africa 🇿🇦 #fyp #foryou #trending #waterfall #waterfallhike #southafrica #hikingadventures #tiktoktravel #travellife ♬ Paradise – Bazzi