February is an exciting time for the Mother City with the annual Pride celebration, and this provides a platform for every part of Cape Town’s LGBT+ community (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, queer, questioning, intersex, non-binary, asexual, polysexual, genderqueer and gender variant people) to raise awareness.
This special occasion allows Capetonians to speak loudly about what has been achieved, how far we have come and what is still needed. Join the celebration with seven amazing adventures to show your support and be part of a greater movement:
Breaking The Closet: Coming Out Stories at Cape Town Pride 2022
Breaking the Closet will be bringing powerful storytelling by familiar faces and special guests from the LGBTQIA+ community. The stories are bound to be engaging, exciting, and sometimes hilarious, whether you identify as heterosexual or part of the LGBTQIA+ community.
Comedian and host Eugene Mathews, who was awarded an EvH Pink Award in the Media category for his work as a co-presenter/producer of Bush Radio’s LGBTQ show, The Salon, will pull out the big guns at the Zer021 Castle Hotel. Joining him on stage is co-producer and comic Nicola Date and Cape Town’s radio journalist Saya Pierce-Jones.
Special guests for this performance are second-year Fine Arts student Zach Steward, recent Northlink College graduate and actress Lisa-Mari van Wyk, and performing artist, theatre and filmmaker, and activist Siyanda Yokwana.
- Date: Thursday, 17 February 2022
- Time: 7:30pm
- Location: Zer021 Castle Hotel (1st Floor, Castle Hotel, 36 Canterbury St, Zonnebloem, Cape Town)
- Cost: R50
- Visit Quicket.co.za to book.
- For more information, email [email protected] or call 0837146974.
Pride Roller Disco
Get your groove on at Pride’s first-ever Roller Disco and rollerskate your way into colourful fun! Rollercade is a thrilling indoor roller-skating amusement park nestled in the Mother City that’ll keep you on your feet while you’re embracing the moment.
Date: Friday, 18 February 2022
Time: 7pm – 9pm
Location: Rollercade, V&A Waterfront, Alfred St, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town
- Visit Quicket.co.za to book.
Mr and Miss Cape Town Pride
It’s time to crown a new Mr and Miss Cape Town Pride 2022, and this year, Miss Gay Western Cape, MVT Productions and Cape Town Pride Festival have once again joined forces to bring you a spectacular event!
Contestants will compete in two categories, Swim Wear and Evening Wear, before a new King and Queen will be crowned.
- Date: Saturday, 19 February 2022
- Time: 7pm
- Location: The Joseph Stone Auditorium (Protea St & Klipfontein Rd, Athlone, Cape Town)
- Cost: R50
- Visit Computicket to book.
- Limited seating due to COVID Protocols.
Cape Town Pride Hike 2
It’s time to venture out and explore the beauty of Cape Town on a Pride Hike. Feast your eyes on rugged mountains, lush greenery and views that’ll make you weep with joy.
- Date: Sunday, 20 February 2022
- Time: Meeting time – 7am; Starting time – 7:30am
- Location: Pipe Track, Pipe Track, Table Mountain (Nature Reserve), Cape Town – Meet on the grass patch, at the corner of Kloof Nek and Tafelberg Road.
Dipping your finger into fine literatures sounds like a pretty solid deal. Join Cape Town Pride to discuss four amazing books: Being Dianne DIANNE – Qarnita Loxton, Robert – Robert Hamblin, The heart is the size of a fist – Pieter P Fourie and Touch – Tiffany Mugo.
- Date: Tuesday, 22 February 2022
- Time: 6:30pm
- Location: Zer021 Castle Hotel, 1st Floor, Castle Hotel, 36 Canterbury St, Zonnebloem, Cape Town
Pride Movie Evening
Join Cape Town Pride and Swedish Institute for an amazing movie watching event. The two movies to be shown are: Girl Like Us and The Torch Song Trilogy. There will be a panel discussion between the two movies, so join in on the fun.
- Date: Friday, 25 February 2022
- Time: 3:30pm
- Location: Labia Theatre (68 Orange Street, Cape Town)
- Cost: Visit Quicket to book.
Grab your squad and head on over to the bustling Long Street for a party to remember. The Official Cape Town Pride After Party, which is brought to you by the Long Street Market, Jacked Events, MCQP and OUTReach Africa boasts five dance floors throughout the Long street Market with entertainment, DJs, Commercial, Trance, house and much more!
- Date: Saturday, 26 February 2022
- Time: 8:30pm – 12:30am
- Location: Long Street
- Cost: General, R150; VIP, R300
- Visit Quicket to book.