South African-based environmental organisation, Greenpop, is an award-winning registered non-profit organisation based in Cape Town, and works towards restoring ecosystems and empowering environmental stewards. This is done through forest restoration, urban greening, food gardening, and environmental awareness projects across Sub-Saharan Africa.
Greenpop was founded in 2010 and has planted over 150 000 trees and inspired 132 000 citizens across South Africa, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania.
Greenpop calls on all citizens to focus on forests this Arbor Month. South Africa celebrates Arbor Month in September each year. It’s a month to focus on tree planting across the nation.
“With spades in hand (and masks on faces), we’re heading to the Garden Route to host the Eden Festival of Action 2021. Over a 1-week period, we will plant 2000 trees and shine a light on the creative ways people are restoring nature,” Lauren Teasdale maintains.
Will you lend us a hand?
Invest in, and grow, South Africa’s “green economy”.
“Human development and wellbeing cannot be achieved without simultaneously safeguarding and investing in nature — otherwise development gains will be short-lived and unequally distributed” – 2030 Agenda, UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development.
Greenpop calls for support of their forest restoration project, Forests for Life that aims to:
- Restore our forest ecosystems
- Contribute towards increased local biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Provide pro-community support that builds capacity and addresses local threats to reforestation success
- Build awareness about the local and international benefits of reforestation
- Use reforestation as a tool for sustainable development and increased connection with nature
- Monitor the impacts of reforestation projects to inform best practices and lesson-sharing
- Shift mindsets from seeing environmental work as too large and impossible to solve towards a culture of action, inspiration and hope
Inspire collective action and hope
“We have planted more than 150,000 trees over the last 11 years, but what makes me more excited than the trees are the thousands of hands that have helped us plant them,” Misha Teasdale, Greenpop founder & Tree-E-O says.
Donate to trees this Arbor Month!
Donate to trees this Arbor Month. For every R120/$8 donated Greenpop is able to plant, monitor and maintain a tree in one of their forest restoration projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Donate here: https://greenpop.org/donate/
Or buy a tree certificate here: https://donation.greenpop.org/
Website & Social Media:
It’s Arbor Month, and Greenpop’s 11th Birthday!
Donate a tree for R120/$8, and help us plant thousands of trees this Arbor Month.
Picture/s: Juliette Bisset