It’s nearly time for parents to welcome that naughty elf back into their homes, all in the name of keeping the magic of Christmas alive for the kids.
What is Elf on the Shelf?
Elf on the Shelf is a Christmas tradition that originated in America and has quickly gained worldwide popularity. On 1 December, Santa sends a magical scout elf to the homes of children to help him manage his naughty or nice lists. The custom is based on Carol Aebersold’s and her daughter Chanda Bell’s children’s book “The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition,” which tells the story of a mischievous elf who is sent by Santa to find out which youngsters are being “naughty” or “nice”.
The elf is very naughty and gets up to all sorts of mischief around the house before reporting back to Santa at the North Pole every evening. Every morning, he appears in a new location (staged by dedicated parents the night before), and the children run around the house in search of their elf.
The elf stays with the family from 1 December and returns back to the North Pole with Santa on Christmas Eve.
There are only two rules for the children to remember:
- No touching the elf, or it will lose its magic
- The elves have to go back to the North Pole with Santa on Christmas Eve
This sounds lovely to everyone except for the unlucky adult that draws the shortest straw and is now tasked with not only coming up with a genius new sort of mischievous idea but also getting up extra early or staying up the night before to place the elf in a new spot.
Here are 24 Elf-on-the-Shelf ideas to see you through until Christmas Eve:
1. Elf arrives on your doorstep from the North Pole in a box with a letter from Santa
2. Elf draws faces on the eggs with marker, he could even drop a few
3. Elf TP’s the Christmas tree
4. Elf prepares a breakfast picnic for the kids in front of the Christmas tree
5. Elf makes snow angels in flour
6. Elf wraps the toilet in Christmas wrapping paper
7. Elf puts toothpaste in Oreo biscuits
8. Elf reads a book on the bookshelf
9. Elf hides in the fridge
10. Elf steals chocolate
11. Elf unravels the toilet paper in the bathroom
12. Elf traps a favourite toy under a glass
13. Elf draws on the children’s faces while they’re asleep
14. Elf TP’s the car
15. Elf has caught a cold and needs to rest for two days (you’re welcome)
16. Elf is on bed rest
17. Elf writes on the bathroom mirror with toothpaste
18. Elf camps in the garden
19. Elf sleeps in a Christmas stocking
20. Elf rides in a toy car or sits with barbie and the other dolls
21. Elf sits on the couch with a note that reads “4 days until Christmas”
22. Elf spills cereal all over the kitchen floor
23. Elf gets stuck inside a balloon
24. Elf is about to return to the North Pole – he hides in the Christmas tree with goodbye letters for the children.
Picture: Elf on the Shelf / Facebook