While the snow settles in the Western Cape, temperatures are dipping to lows that might not be everyone’s cup of tea. And with the school holidays around the corner, no one will want to hide away at home every day. Here are seven fun activities that will keep the whole family busy, but also keep them warm indoors:
Glide on ice at GrandWest Casino’s Ice Station
There’s definitely no better way to celebrate winter than by gliding on the ice, and GrandWest Casino’s famous ice rink is the perfect spot to do that. Bring an extra jacket, slip on your ice skates and enjoy everything that this self-proclaimed Winter Wonderland has to offer.
- R65 per person for one hour session and skates
- R50 per person for one hour session, own skates
- R75 per person for two hour session and skates
- R55 per person for two hour session and skates
- Location: Grand West Casino, 1 Jakes Gerwel Drive, Acacia Park, Cape Town, 7460
- Website: suninternational.com/grandwest/activities/ice-station/
Get jumping at Rush Indoor Trampoline Park
How many times have you caught your kid jumping on the bed? Well, Rush Indoor Trampoline Park in Claremont offers a fun way for them to indulge their inner jumper while burning off their endless energy. The best part? Adults get to join in on the fun too!
- R150 for one hour all access
- R200 for parent + toddler (anytime)
- R100 for an additional hour
- Location: 25 Stegman Rd, Claremont, Cape Town, 7708
- Website: rushsa.co.za
Feast your eyes at Glowing Rooms SA’s 3D mini golf
Picture this: The same mini golf that we all know and love, but with a sprinkle of custom airbrushed rooms and a dash of all things 3D. Blend that together, and you have an adventure worth travelling to Milnerton for.
Glowing Rooms SA is a magical experience and once you slide on those 3D glasses, you’ll be mesmerised by the kaleidoscopic views before you.
- Cost: R130 per person
- Location: 1 Turf Club Dr, Milnerton, Cape Town, 7441
- Website: glowingrooms.co.za
Set high scores at the arcade
There is something really nostalgic about the sound of arcade music and the rattle of coins dropping into a dispenser. Why not relive some happy childhood memories by racing a superbike, shooting some hoops, challenging a friend to a dance-off or shooting aliens at an arcade near you? Some arcades that are still very popular are The Magic Company Arcade at GrandWest and Wonderland Arcades at Canal Walk.
The Magic Company Arcade
- Location: Grandwest Casino, Denneboom Ave, Goodwood, 7460
- Website: themagiccompany.co.za
- Location: 490 Century Blvd, Century City, Cape Town, 7446
- Website: canalwalk.co.za
Get creative at Art Jamming
Treat your kids to some ‘paintertainment’ and get their creative juices flowing. There are paintertainment options for all. No painting skills are required, and there will be qualified artists at the studios for anyone needing assistance.
- Cost: From R185 depending on the type of canvas
- Location: Breakwater Blvd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
- Website: artjamming.co.za
Enjoy the unique atmosphere of cave golf
This is another 18-hole mini-golf course, but this one has a twist. The decor is cave themed and gives the kids a sense of adventure. On top of that, the cave golf is at the Scratch Patch so there are extra activities in case your kids are not done with the fun!
- Cost: R35 per player + R20 deposit
- Location: 1 Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
- Website: scratchpatch.co.za/cave-golf/
Be adventurous at the Playdate Superpark
Playdate Superpark is an activity park that offers a wide variety of activities for kids. With a maze of 350 square meters, a high line course, Little City with slides, air hockey, mini-golf, racing for kids 10 and older, target throwing and more, PlayDate is enough to keep them busy all day.
- R95 for one hour Adventure Pass
- R140 for one hour 30 minutes Adventure Pass
- R170 for two hours
- R220 for All Day Pass
- Under one’s first hour is free, under two’s pay R35 for the first hour, adults pay R30
- Location: V&A Waterfront, Watershed, The, 17 Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8002
- Website: superpark.co.za
Picture: The Ice Station, GrandWest / Facebook