While members of the South African Police Service have been preparing for looming protest action across the country, the Western Cape’s integrated law enforcement agencies have been placed on high alert, with tactical deployments in place, in preparation for the EFF’s planned national shutdown on Monday.
Also read: Public transport services will remain operational on Monday
According to News24, integrated forces comprised of members of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), various South African Police Service (SAPS) units, metro police with law enforcement officials from various municipalities, traffic services and a contingent of private security officials are operationally prepared in the Western Cape, with deployments scheduled to begin at predetermined times in identified locations.
As reported by News24, Western Cape Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Thembisile Patekile said that as part of the Provincial Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (ProvJOINTS) operational plan, police officials on foot, horseback, in vehicles and on motorcycles, with air support at strategic positions, are on hand to respond to incidents of lawlessness promptly and appropriately.
“The deployments will be enhanced by utilizing the integrated CCTV camera systems as well as other cutting-edge technology,” Patekile said.
Patekile added that organisers and participants in the planned activities have been asked to respect the rule of law because law enforcement won’t hesitate to take strong action against people who infringe upon the rights of others.
“A dedicated contingent of detectives from the South African Police Service will be on hand to investigate reported cases,” Patekile said. “Social media users are warned against posting and disseminating inflammatory content contained in videos and messages that seek to incite violence and spread falsehoods.”
Community members, business owners, drivers, commuters and any other affected parties who find themselves adversely impacted by the actions of the planned protest are advised to contact the police, the City of Cape Town, or the provincial government.
Today I met with Western Cape Police Commissioner Lt Gen Thembisile Patekile, his team and Provincial Police Oversight and Community Safety Minister @ReagenAllen. pic.twitter.com/Q4dYPScXp2
— Premier Alan Winde (@alanwinde) March 19, 2023
The Minister of Mobility in the Western Cape, Ricardo Mackenzie, said in a statement that public transportation operations, including Golden Arrow bus services and Santaco-affiliated taxis, will remain operational in the Western Cape.
Public Transport operations will continue their regular schedules tomorrow.#LetsGetToWork pic.twitter.com/i4DBXF23qE
— Ricardo Mackenzie MPL🇿🇦 (@ricardomackenzi) March 19, 2023
He said that the South African National Taxi Council confirmed that minibus taxi services would continue to operate on their regular schedules and routes and that their members had been warned to remain vigilant for passenger safety.
Golden Arrow Bus Services has also assured commuters that regular service would resume on Monday in collaboration with safety and security agencies and that the operational area would be monitored with contingency plans in place.
The South African Passenger Rail Agency (PRASA) has stated that trains will run as scheduled, that any changes to the schedule will be communicated, and that security plans are in place to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
National police commissioner General Fannie Masemola, who conducted a security state-of-readiness walkabout in Gauteng, also said that he was quite pleased about the integrated service in the province.
If members of the public witness any acts of violence or intimidation on Monday, they are urged to contact law enforcement or the WCG via the following number: 0860 142142; or by email: [email protected]
National shutdown: SANDF will back-up police fears of violence
Picture: South African Police Service / Facebook