Twelve suspects have recently been put behind bars in connection to sexual offences occurring in George and other Garden route areas/towns.
Efforts by specialist detectives connected with the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual offences unit (FCS) based in George saw the successful arrest-landing.
“The tracing operation was aimed at the detection of known wanted suspects as well as those against whom a warrant for their arrest has been issued by the court,” says the office of the Provincial Commissioner in the Western Cape.
The tracing operation was directed from Wednesday, 23 March to Friday, 25 March 2022.
“Focussed on a positive outcome, detectives arrested three suspects for various sexual offences for whom warrants of arrest was issued, including a 44-year-old man for Indecent Exposure, in Pacaltsdorp, a 21-year-old man on a Knysna Sexual Assault Case and a 42-year-old man in connection with a Plettenberg Bay Rape case where the victim was violated during March 2018,” the Commissioner’s office adds.
The other nine suspects saw three juveniles who had been identified by their victims. 4 violations occurred in Conville, while 3 happened in Thembalethu and 2 in Knysna.
Most of the suspects are said to still be in police custody and will appear in court in the following week, while two of the juveniles are at a youth and juvenile detention facility in George.
Of the victims, the police express that all were “afforded the necessary support by the SAPS.”
“The Western Cape police management commended the team for their vigilance and for bringing these sexual offenders to book. Gender-based violence and Femicide (GBVF) remains a priority for police and all efforts are being made to ensure that those found on the wrong side of the law face the full might of the law once arrested. These arrests will also bring some sort of closure to the victims knowing that their perpetrators will at least face the might of the Law,” added the Commissioner’s Office.