A fire broke that ripped through a backyard dwelling in Moses Street, Delft South just before midnight last night claimed the lives of a mother, father and their 5-month-old twin boys.
It is alleged that the fire was caused by a lit candle that wasn’t put out. The inferno trapped the family, killing them instantly.
Community leader Dineo Masiu, says the fire has left the whole community in shock because of the manner the deceased was burnt.
” When I got to the scene everyone was in shock and trying to put out the fire.”
” Everyone is afraid and sad, even the neighbours have been affected by this tragedy,” Masiu said.
The deceased are survived by their 3 older children between the ages of 17 and 9 years old.
Sub Council Chairperson, Angus McKenzie who visited the family this morning is appealing for people to assist the family.
” I am appealing to communities, organisations and individuals to dig deep to help these 3 young children battle this cross that has been placed in their way, ” McKenzie said.
Masiu told Cape Town Etc that the family has lost everything in the fire including their identification and other personal belongings.
” They lost their birth certificates, personal documents and all their clothing.”
She has also called on various role players to come in and assist the children with trauma counselling.
” It is alleged that the 17-year-old saw her baby brother’s body burn and no child should witness something like that,” Masiu said.
Masiu urges anyone who would like to assist the family in their time of need to make contact with her on 063 377 6260.
Picture: Cape Town etc gallery