Pioneer Foods announced that they have recalled certain LiquiFruit products after an investigation confirmed that a limited quantity of apple juice concentrate supplied to them contained elevated levels of the toxin patulin.
This comes after Coca-Cola South Africa recalled six specific batches of Appletiser from stores nationwide due to contamination concerns, namely the detection of patulin which can cause gastrointestinal distress.
The following LiquiFruit 100% Apple Juice products sold in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia are affected, with the relevant batch and production codes below:
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 250ml carton – Barcode: 60052599 – Production date (PD) 11.06.2021 / Best Before date (BB) 11.06.2022
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 330ml can – Barcode 6001240225561 – PD 07.06.2021/BB 07.06.2022 PD 08.06.2021/BB 08.06.2022
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 300ml can – Barcode: 6001240239346 – PD 21.06.2021/BB 21.06.2022
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 1L – Barcode 6001048000339 – PD 07.06.2021/BB 07.06.2022 PD 08.06.2021/BB 08.06.2022
- Ceres Apple 4x6x200ml – Barcode – 6001240200018 – PD 14.06.2021/BB 14.06.2022 PD 21.06.2021/BB 21.06.2022 PD 22.06.2021/BB 22.06.2022
- Ceres Apple Sparkling 275 ml glass – Barcode: 6001240222676 – PD 14.06.2021/BB 14.06.2022 PD 15.06.2021/BB 15.06.2022
- Ceres Apple 12x1L – Barcode: 6001240100011 – PD 17.06.2021/BB 17.06.2022 PD 18.06.2021/BB 18.06.2022 PD 21.06.2021/BB 21.06.2022 PD 22.06.2021/BB 22.06.2022
Customers are reportedly urged to return these recalled products immediately to the point of purchase.
Read the full statement here:
South African consumers are urged to return certain 100% apple juice products under the Liquifruit and Ceres brands
— Garden Route DM (@GardenRoute_DM) October 8, 2021
Picture: Twitter / @EleanorSeggie