It’s been another eventful weekend around Cape Town and the country. Here’s a look at some of the headlines that made news this weekend.

De Lille welcomes investigation:
Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille welcomed charges the Democratic Alliance brought forward. De Lille said on Twitter yesterday: “I welcome the fact that the DA has taken the decision to formally charge me. It is disappointing that it took them so long. I will also ensure that I provide the DA leader with the legal framework in terms of my statutory powers as the Executive Mayor,” she said. Yesterday, the party’s highest decision making body recommended that De Lille be investigated, the Federal Executive Committee also charged De Lille with bringing the party into disrepute.

Ramaphosa on Zuma recall:
Newly ANC elected president Cyril Ramaphosa has shut down any attempts to humiliate President Jacob Zuma and said that no deployee of the party should be subject to such treatment. Ramaphosa was speaking to the SABC a day after the ANC’s 106 anniversary birthday bash in East London’s Buffalo City where the crowd repeatedly booed Zuma.

DA Wants EFF held accountable for damages at H&M:
The Democratic Alliance (DA) has called for the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) to be held accountable for the damages at H&M Stores. The party said that the EFF should compensate employees who spent long hours cleaning up the damages. On Saturday the EFF held protests at some H&M stores around the country. An image of a child wearing a hoodie which read “coolest monkey in the jungle” sparked the massive outcry and labelled the retail giant as racist.

Still no trains on Central line:
As some workers return to work today after the holiday season, Metrorail has announced that its Central Line along the Cape Flats remains suspended until Wednesday. Last week Metrorail suspended its services on the Central Line after a security guard was shot dead during an armed robbery at the Chris Hani station in Khayelitsha.

Thousands left destitute after fire:
Around 150 people were left destitute after a fire broke out in Pholile informal settlement in Strand. It is believed that illegal electricity connections caused the fire. Around 45 structures were destroyed and no fatalities were reported. The City’s Mayoral Committee member for Safety and Security and social services JP Smith confirmed that they already started assisting the residents affected.

 

Picture: Facebook

Article written by

capeetc

We love this place! Cape Town Etc features news, reviews, entertainment and lifestyle in the Mother City.