Western Cape Minister for Education Debbie Schäfer went on record to indicate that schools in the province are full. In a statement released on Thursday, April 22, Schäfer said some schools have extra classrooms available while others required mobile classrooms.
The MEC said the education department was implementing a plan to place the remaining 2 550 pupils that are registered as unplaced in the province. “We have been able to verify and place 111 learners at the illegal school under the trees in Eerste River, with a further 99 learners having been informed of their placement,” Schäfer said.
Schäfer added that of the 111 learners, 83 had been registered at and had been attending other schools, however, their parents for whatever reason decided to take them out of their schools to try and create an illegal institution.”The same is being reported at Rosendal where learners have reportedly left schools that they were accepted in and instead attend this illegal institution, demanding that we recognise it as a school,” Schäfer added.
According to IOL, late applications and sudden growth in certain areas hinder the education process, and parents should not wait until the start of the next school year before trying to find a place for their children.
Meanwhile, schools that have received the additional teaching posts have agreed to accommodate pupils in alternative spaces such as the school halls or laboratory space until the classrooms are constructed.”The plan includes the provision of 129 mobile classrooms to schools, as well as the addition of teaching posts and unfortunately, the construct and can’t take place immediately,” Schäfer said.
Picture: Cape Town Etc gallery