The winners of the Cape Town Cycle Tour crossed the finish line just after 9am on Sunday, March 8. The 42nd edition of the biggest timed bicycle race in the world began at Grand Parade and traversed the peninsular, ending in Green Point. Approximately 30,000 people competed this year.
Cherise Willeit who came first in the women’s division came first for her 5th Cape Town Cycle Tour.
- Cherise Willeit (Customized Cycling Bioplus) 02:07:48
- Frances Janse van Rensburg (Individual.) 02:07:48
- Hayley Preez (Individual.) 02:07:48
- Vera Adrian (Individual.) 02:07:48
- Candice Lill (Ind.) 02:07:48
Multiple South African champion Cherise Willeit (Customized Cycling Bioplus) won her fifth Cape Town Cycle Tour title in Cape Town on Sunday, while 20-year-old Travis Barrett (officeguru) took the men’s title on a perfect, near windless day.
- Travis Barrett (officeguru) 02:30:04
- Clint Hendricks (Enza) 02:30:04
- Jayde Julius (ProTouch) 02:30:04
- Louis Visser (Individual.) 02:30:04
- Jaco Venter (Alfa Bodyworks Giant) 02:30:04
In the men’s race, in-form Barrett upset some of the big sprint favourites to nudge out former winner Clint Hendricks (Enza) by the width of a tyre to finish in 2:30.04 for the 109km. The two were part of a lead group of 15 that broke away up Chapman’s Peak and held their lead over the second bunch to the finish. Local Capetonian Jayde Julius (ProTouch) grabbed third.
“It was a very long sprint and I could sense Clint coming up beside me. But I held on.” Barrett said. “I still can’t believe it. Winning the Cycle Tour is what every rider dreams of.”
— Cape Town Cycle Tour (@CTCycleTour) March 8, 2020