Cape Town’s food culture is steeped in rich history. Coupled with food trends from around the world, the Mother City is the ultimate foodie destination.
Whether you’re a local or a tourist, we’ve put together a must-try list of 13 restaurants in Cape Town. From fine dining establishments to casual cuisine, there’s a place for everyone.
Here are 13 restaurants in Cape Town to try:
1. FYN Restaurant
With mouth-watering dishes, elegant décor, and a unique dining experience you’re not likely to find anywhere else, it’s no wonder then that FYN grabbed the 37th spot on the list of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants. The menu is Japanese-inspired with an added African flair.
Worth noting: Fyn is a fine dining establishment and does not recommend children under the age of 12 join for dinner.
Opening times: Monday – Saturday lunch seating – 12pm to 2pm | Monday – Saturday dinner seating – 6pm to 8.30pm.
Location: 5th Floor, Speakers Corner, 37 Parliament Street, Cape Town City Centre.
2. Kloof Street House
Magic lives here. You’ll find Kloof Street House at the bottom of the vibrant Kloof Street. The restaurant is made up of a collection of rooms and spaces set in a Victorian house risen from a fairy-lit garden, offering a brasserie-style menu and a cosy ambience to make you feel right at home. The garden bar is the much-loved spot on those balmy Cape Town Summer evenings.
Worth noting: live Jazz at Kloof Street House every first Sunday of every month between 1pm to 3pm.
Opening times: Monday 12pm to late | Tuesday to Sunday 10am to late | the kitchen closes at 10.30pm
Location: 30 Kloof Street, Gardens, Cape Town.
3. Bistro Sixteen82
The menu at Bistro Sixteen82 is a constant evolution, keeping up with seasonal produce and featuring inventive dishes that complement the finest locally sourced ingredients. With breakfast, lunch and late-afternoon tapa menus to choose from, Bistro Sixteen82 provides dining with an inimitable contemporary spirit. A sure favourite amongst Cape Town locals.
- Worth noting: Bistro Sixteen82 is child-friendly. Youngsters will enjoy the outdoor lawns and surroundings.
- Opening times: Breakfast 9am t0 11am | Lunch 12pm to 3pm | Tapas 5pm to 10pm.
- Location: Steenberg Road, Tokai.
- Website: steenbergfarm.com/bistro1682-cape-town-contemporary-restaurant
4. Bombay Brasserie
For anyone looking for Indian cuisine in a fine dining experience, look no further than Bombay Brasserie, the resident restaurant of the Taj Hotel in Cape Town. The restaurant serves up the finest authentic dishes from both north and south India with a touch of Cape Town’s flavour. The restaurant offers an alternative menu to its fine dining, allowing diners the option to choose from an array of small plate dishes, which allows diners to experience a fine dining interpretation of Indian street food.
- Worth noting: enjoy pre-dinner drinks at the Bombay Brasserie Bar.
- Opening times: bar – Monday to Saturday 4pm to 10.30pm | dinner – Monday to Saturday 6pm to 10.30pm.
- Location: 1 Wale Street, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town.
- Website: www.tajhotels.com
5. YU Restaurant
Staying on the Asian continent for a bit longer, YU Restaurant located inside the Onyx Hotel on the Foreshore Cape Town pushes the boundaries of Japanese cuisine in its offering of both gourmet tapas and well as a selection of main dishes to satisfy the peckish and famished diner alike.
- Worth noting: YU Restaurants was nominated for a World Luxury Restaurant award in 2020.
- Opening times: Monday to Friday 12pm to 11pm | Saturday 12pm to 11pm.
- Location: The Onyx Hotel – 57 Heerengracht Street, Cape Town.
- Website: www.yucapetown.co.za
6. La Parada
“Corazon Español means Spanish Heart, and that’s exactly what we give our guests in everything we do!” La Parada has a vibey atmosphere and serves up everything from traditional cooking to fine dining, burgers and tapas, coupled with sensational cocktails. With four restaurants having been mindfully placed across Cape Town to ensure that the locals never have to venture too far out to visit the much-loved restaurant.
- Worth noting: no persons under the age of 21 from 3pm on Sundays.
- Opening times: may vary depending on the restaurant.
- Location: 107 Bree Street, Cape Town | Apex building, 1 Energy Ln, Century City, Cape Town | 1 Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town / Main Rd, Hout Bay, Cape Town.
- Website: laparada.co.za
7. La Belle Bistro & Patisserie
La Belle Bistro is well-known for its scrumptious breakfasts and warm inviting atmosphere which lends itself to the breathtaking surroundings at both of the restaurant locations in Camps Bay and Constantia. Sip slowly on freshly crafted fruit juice while enjoying some of Cape Town’s finest artisanal bread and pastries. Open for signature breakfasts, casual lunches and scrumptious dinners – here you’ll rediscover the small pleasures that make each moment a beautiful memory.
- Worth noting: La belle’s inspiration and influence come from international renowned eateries.
- Opening times: Camps Bay – Monday to Sunday 8am to 11pm | Constantia – Monday to Sunday 8am to 11pm.
- Location: Camps Bay – 201 Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town | Constantia – The Alphen Boutique Hotel, Alphen Drive, Constantia, Cape Town.
- Website: www.labellebistro.co.za
8. Mamma Roma
Mamma Roma makes the list, well because, who doesn’t love pasta? This family-run restaurant is a favourite among the locals and is double-booked almost every night. Mamma Roma does not serve pizzas but focuses on delivering nothing but the most authentic Italian seafood, pasta, grills and veal dishes. The walls and ceilings of this intimate establishment are decorated with frescos, the tables are candle-lit, and soft Italian music lingers in the background while you indulge in the most authentic Italian experience Cape Town has to offer.
- Worth noting: booking is essential.
- Opening times: Monday to Saturday 12pm to 11pm.
- Location: Dean Street Arcade, Dean Street, Newlands, Cape Town.
- Website: www.mammaroma.co.za
9. Burger & Lobster
Cape Town’s most talked about and most expensive burger experience as far as burgers go, and in case you’re wondering, yes, it does live up to its hyped-up reputation. The Burger & Lobster menu is crafted around three core items: the b&l burger, the lobster roll and the whole lobster with the belief of keeping it simple and doing it well. Most of what is on the menu is made with local seasonal produce. The food is accompanied by fine wine or audacious cocktails with suggestions highlighted on the menu – making your choice easier.
- Worth noting: bookings are recommended to avoid disappointment.
- Opening times: Monday to Sunday 12pm to 11pm.
- Location: 105 Bree Street, Cape Town City Centre.
- Website: www.burgerandlobster.co.za
10. Active Sushi
‘Love and Sushi are a lot alike, you can never have too much of either’ – If you’re wondering where to get sushi in Cape Town, look no further than Active Sushi, the superlative dining experience for customers since 2008. Expect to be treated to a memorable, intimate, and elegant experience, an overall feast for the senses. Diners are spoilt with the restaurants’ daily All You Can Eat sushi special at any one of their two branches in Cape Town.
- Worth noting: Active Sushi offers a daily all-you-can-eat sushi special.
- Opening times: Monday to Sunday 11.30am to 10pm.
- Location: 81 Buitenkant Street, Cape Town | 63 Buitengracht Street, Cape Town.
- Website: www.activesushi.com
- Worth noting: Peddlars garden bar is the perfect setting for Cape Town summer days.
- Opening times: Monday to Sunday 8.30am to 11pm.
- Location: 32 Spaanschemat River Road, Constantia, Cape Town.
- Website: www.peddlars.co.za
12. Tiger’s Milk Kitchen & Bar
Tiger’s Milk is your go-to casual laid-back Restaurant, with more than five franchises strategically placed around Cape Town you won’t have to travel too far to enjoy your favourite locally made lager with friends. The menu is simple and doesn’t overwhelm you with too many choices. Tiger’s Milk epitomises handcrafted goodness with a menu that takes pizzas, grills and burgers to the next level.
- Worth noting: looking for a fun night out? Join their quiz evenings.
- Opening times: may vary depending on the restaurant.
- Location: check their website for your nearest restaurant.
- Website: www.tigersmilk.co.za
If you like incredible ocean views served with your prawn stroganoff, then 12 Apostle Hotel’s, Azure is the perfect spot. Their menu is bursting with flavour and goes beyond seafood to include a range of international and local dishes, but it’s their iconic status and mesmerising terrace from which to watch the sunset that really steals the show. This truly is a fine dining experience that should be enjoyed at least once!
- Worth noting: there is a dress code – make sure to dress semi-formal (trousers and closed shoes for men).
- Opening times: breakfast 7am to 10.30am | Lunch 12.30pm to 3.30pm | dinner 6pm to 10pm.
- Location: The 12 Apostles Hotel – Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town.
- Website: www.12apostleshotel.com/dining-and-drinks/the-azure-restaurant
Picture: La Parada