An independent Veterinarian from Cape Town took to social media to express her anger and disapproval after Cape Nature and the City of Cape Town (COCT) took up the decision to euthanize a baboon even though he was passed fit for release.
In a Facebook post, Dr Gina Du Plessis indicated that she was called out on Saturday, July 10, by the Cape of Good Hope SPCA Inspectorate, to help assist with a veterinary examination of a 14-year-old male Chacma baboon, Bolo.
” When I arrived as a private, independent Veterinarian, at the holding site at SPCA, I was met with a member of the SPCA Inspectorate, an SPCA Veterinarian, and a representative of NCC. So we were 4 different individuals with different qualifications, not only to examine this baboon, and the extent and possible causes of his injuries, but to decide his prognosis i.e. his chances of recovery and reintegration to his troop. Also with that, his treatment or euthenzia,” Du Plessis said.
According to Du Plessis, after a few days of treatment at the SPCA’s facility, Bolo’s condition improved as the swelling in his right eye subsided. He was then examined on Monday, July 19, and passed as fit for release after making a miraculous recovery. However, on Tuesday, July 20, the decision was made by Cape Nature to put the baboon down which Du Plessis describes as unacceptable.
“We all became really excited and hopeful for a possible release and a good ending to a sad story. If we had known this was to be the cold calculated completely unacceptable attitude, easy solution and action of Cape Nature, we would have euthanized him humanely on the first day of examination, while under general anaesthetic 9 days prior and saved this animal further suffering, pain and stress,” Du Plessis said.
According to IOL, The SPCA stated that they refused to act on the instruction by Cape Nature to euthanize Bolo as the euthanasia did not take place on their premises. Meanwhile, the COCT said in a statement that they took all the relevant information into consideration, both from an individual welfare and baboon conservation perspective, as it was Cape Nature’s opinion that, on the balance of probabilities, Bolo should not be released.
“To release the animal would not be in his or the troop’s best interests and would most likely result in future troop destabilisation and potential welfare compromises,” the statement said.
Picture: Facebook/ Baboon Management WC