“When Cape Town experienced its water crisis, the rest of our beautiful nation rallied in support. Now it’s our turn to give back.”
This is the motto of a group of individuals who have taken on the challenge to get emergency provisions of food, medicines and other essential items on the road to KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and another surrounding areas that have been badly affected by the looting and destructive protest action which took place earlier this month.
A team of volunteers in Cape Town have partnered with the acclaimed non-profit organisation (NPO) Khulisa Streetscapes and Rotary International with the support of the City of Cape Town councillor Brandon Golding.
View this post on Instagram
Donations of essential items at 11 drop-off points (and growing) have been made available throughout Cape Town and its surroundings. These items will then be transported and distributed by the volunteers in KZN with the help of local community forums.
This initiative also includes supporting the distribution of food and essential items in conjunction with The Cape Animal Welfare Forum (CAWF) to animal shelters in KZN that have also been affected by the unrest.
Businesses and the public are asked to assist by donating. No donation is too big or small.
Immediate donation needs are currently:
- Boxes for packaging
- Self Raising Flour
- Baking Powder
- Maize /Oats
- Rice / Pasta
- Dry Beans
- Protein substitutes (halaal, vegan and vegetarian options included)
- Long-life milk
- Milk powder/ Cremora
- Peanut butter / Jam
- Cooking Oil
- Tea / Coffee
- Tinned vegetables / Tinned tomatoes
- Packets of soup
- Baby nappies / Baby formula / Adult nappies
- Sanitary pads
- Toilet paper
Monetary donations can be made to:
- Account Name: Khulisa Social Solutions Inc
- Registration Number: 1998/001994/08
- Account Number: 370670124
- Account type: Business Current Account
- Branch Name: Hyde Park
- Branch code: 006605
- Swift address: SBZAZAJJ
- REFERENCE: CT CARES
Cape Town primary venues accepting donations:
- Gardens Rugby Club, Montreal Avenue, Oranjezicht
- London Bales, 23 Milner Street, Paarden Island
- Sitting Pretty Clothing Store, Gardens Centre
Further Donation Locations:
- Clay Café in the city, 199 Bree Street
- Ground Art Caffe, 160 Strand Street
- Kiddylicious, 27 Newington Street, Parow North
- 62 Old Kendal Road, Constantia
- 8 Argyle Road, Rondebosch
- 23 General PJ Liebenberg Crescent, Welgelegen
- Sunbird Close, Blouberg Rise
- 31 Burgee Bend, Marina Da Gama, Muizenberg
To get involved or help donate you can make contact with Cape Town Cares at: [email protected] or visit their social media handles.